I made Winn's chutney, but had only a single large peppercorn. So, along with that, I decided to use whole coriander seeds in addition. It came out very well.
- 4 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 3 large onions
- 1 lb Demerara Sugar
- 1/4 lb salt
- 1 oz spice (cloves, cinnamon, and peppercorns mixed)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- about 1/2 pint vinegar
- Time to boil 1 1/2 hours.
- Cut tomatoes into slices and put in pan, slice and add onions, add sugar, salt and pickling spice (tied in muslin). Then add cayenne pepper and pour vinegar over all, boil gently for 1 1/2 hours. Stir to prevent burning.
- "Unlike brown sugar, which is just refined white sugar lightly bathed in a bit of molasses (this is a good thing to know, as you can just substitute brown sugar for white sugar with a bit of molasses added), Demerara sugar is a large-grained, somewhat crunchy, raw sugar with origins in Guyana (a colony formerly called Demerara). Because of the rising popularity of Demerara over the years (with the European market being the early adopters, and the U.S. market slowly following behind) this particular type of sugar is now produced in Mexico, India, Hawaii, among other countries".
- Light brown sugar or turbinado sugar
- Read more from GourmetSleuth.com