Strawberry Pickles (Pickled Strawberries)
I decided to make a small batch -- 1:pound of strawberries. They are not bad! Have on waffles, shortbread, pancakes. -Laura
- 4 lbs strawberries
- 3 1/2 lbs granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 pints vinegar
- 1 oz whole cloves
- 1 oz stick cinnamon
- Tie the spices in muslin bags, dissolve sugar in vinegar, add spices and scold in a saucepan. Hull and wash berries in a colander, drain thoroughly, and add them to the scalded liquid and let stand until next day.
- Pour off liquid and boil it for three minutes and pour over berries, letting this stand until following day.
- The third day, boil berries and liquid slowly for 30 minutes, removing all scum as it rises. Lift out berries with a skimmer, and boil down the syrup until it thickens. Reheat the berries in liquid until boiling and pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
- --Either can your usual way or refrigerate.