Crispy outside yet soft & cheesy on the inside with a hint of heat.
- No more than 4 cups cooked mashed yucca--(peel & chop yuca into 3 inch chucks and boil in water till soft)
- 2 eggs
- 2 red aji peppers, chopped
- 1 small to medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- a few dashes of cayenne pepper or ground red aji pepper
- No more than 1 & 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, fontina, ???
- Sauté the onion and aji's in a little oil till soft. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more on low.
- In a food processor add the cooked yucca, the two eggs, the cooked onion/pepper mixture, and the seasonings, blend well. Either do this in stages as it may be hard on the motor, or blend by hand. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and blend in the cheese.
- Brush a Teflon pan with oil. Heat your pan on a medium to high flame. Form yucca mixture into small cakes and only put enough cakes on the pan without crowding. When underside of the cakes are golden and crisp, flip and press down on the cake with a spatula to make thin and crisp up the other side. Cakes should be firm.