Savory Veggie Quiche
Because this quiche uses less eggs and more cream, it not only takes longer to bake, but will have a softer texture rather than a firm one.
I made this quiche twice in one day. The first time was for lunch. I didn't measure anything and It turned out wonderful. So, I turned around and made it again! The second time was simply to record the recipe, and of course, to enjoy it yet again. And yes, the second pie was just as wonderful, in fact, my husband proclaimed that it was thee best quiche he's ever had, and now I have an actual recipe!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium to large tomato, chopped
- 1" piece of ginger, peeled & minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 bunch spinach, leaves washed
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cream
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1 teaspoon sal en grano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (only by Kiosko or freshly grated)
- Butter a deep dish pie pan or round casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 400 (200 C)
- Whisk the eggs, then add the cream, coconut milk, salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and whisk that altogether. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and cook till somewhat soft, the onions--green & yellow--and peppers.
- Add mushrooms and cook them until tender.
- Add tomato, ginger, garlic, the 1/2 tablespoon turmeric, thyme, and spinach and cook the spinach down. Stir and blend that all together. There should not be, but if there is liquid, drain. This will depend on your tomato.
- Transfer the vegetables to the buttered dish and place the dish on a cookie sheet to catch any dripping liquid when baking.
- Sprinkle the veggies with Parmesan cheese.
- Pour the egg/cream mixture on top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done. The Parmesan cheese will form a crust on the top. Note: This will not be a firm quiche.
- Once baked, remove from oven and let the quiche rest for 10 minutes before slicing.