Yuca & Plátano Mofongo Pie Crust
- This will make two pie crusts.
- 3 cups cooked yuca --peel the root, chop roughly and boil in water till done
- 3 ripe yellow plantains, sliced thick and fried in a little butter
- 5 garlic cloves
- 5 slices of smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400F.
- In a food processor, mash together the cooked yuca, fried plátano, garlic and salt. You may need to do this in stages.
- Cook up the bacon, then chop and mix it thoughly into the pasty yuca/plátano mixture.
- Grease two deep dish pie pans and press half of the yuca/plátano mixture into each of the pans to form the pie crusts. Bake the crusts for about 20 minutes or until done. A bubble may form in the center--just press that down. They are ready for the filling.
- 6 eggs whisked
- 1/2 cup of your favorite flavorful bean dip
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- Whisk eggs and bean dip till silky smooth, add some cream if needed--this will depend on the texture of your dip. Stir in the cheese. Pour into crust.
- Bake quiche for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Between the two of us, this quiche, with this crust, was gone in one sitting!
- --Under Pork, see my recipe for Pork Mofongo Pie
Adapted from The Saffron Girl