Creamed Corn with Bacon, Tomato & Spinach
Now I have a use for that Choclo corn. My downstairs neighbor makes creamed corn all the time and now I am hooked -- and so easy. I never did care for canned creamed corn, but now here's my way. While this recipe can vary with me--because there is so much one can do with this--here is one way I enjoy preparing it.
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 7 slices uncooked bacon, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups choclo corn
- 3 cups fresh chopped spinach
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, (I prefer using sal en grano--an all natural salt found around the mercados that you grind yourself.)
- 2 tbs. corn starch or white flour
- 2 cups cups cream, coconut milk, or regular milk
- In a large skillet add the oil. Over medium heat, cook the onion and bacon together until onion is soft and bacon is cooked but not crisp. Add the garlic, corn, tomatoes, spinach, and seasonings. Mix together and cook covered for 20 minutes on low. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the starch until well combined, then the cream. Turn the heat up a tad and cook until thick & bubbly. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve.