Chili Cheesy Cauliflower Burgers
I'm glad that I wrote this one down. My two neighbors took a taste and said that whatever I did, was definitely a keeper.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 unpeeled bulb of garlic
- Chopped green onions or fresh chives (preferred) --a handful
- Olive oil
- 2 eggs (The amount of eggs will depend on the size of your cauliflower head. If using a large head, you may need to adjust)
- 1 tb New Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup QUICK oats (NOT rolled oats) -- this too will depend on the size of your cauliflower head. The mixture needs to hold together and form into burgers/cakes.
- Toss the cauliflower florets and onion with oil.
- Place the onions in the center of a cookie sheet. Place the bulb of garlic in the center of the onions and pour a little olive oil on the garlic bulb. Spread the cauliflower florets around the onions. Sprinkle the chopped fresh chives or green onions on the cauliflower. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Ovens vary, so check up on the veggies, so as not to burn.
- Once cooled, peel the roasted garlic. Mash the veggies in a food processor, including all of the roasted cloves of garlic. (This may need to be done in stages) Add the eggs. Process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Then mix in the rest of the ingredients and form into burgers.
- (NOTE: These burgers DO NOT cook up well in a skillet! On a Teflon griddle pan they come out perfect. In fact, I've made these burgers on several different kinds of pans, and the Teflon pan does work best for these -- as shown in picture).
- Brush the heated pan with olive oil, and cook burgers until crispy and golden on one side, then flip and repeat on the other.
- I've changed this recipe up to make curried cauliflower burgers --by replacing the chili powder with curry powder, replacing the cheddar with mozzarella cheese, adding a little bit of dried chili flakes, a bit of jalapeño pepper--roasted & chopped , and a dash of cayenne. Yum!
- For buffalo style burgers: Try using Salsa de Aji Oriental Picante in place of the chili powder and some chopped blue cheese instead of the cheddar. Another yum!