Laura's Totally From Scratch BBQ Sauce w/Mango & Honey
This is an extremely easy BBQ Sauce made from fresh tomatoes and sweetened simply with mango & honey. My husband loves it.
- 6 or 7 medium ripe tomatoes peeled and diced (5 cups)
- 1/4 cup diced red aji pepper (hot red pepper)
- 1 ripe mango peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Throw everything, except the liquid smoke, into a small pot and cook until the tomatoes and mango are tender. Throw into a blender until smooth. Return to pot and add liquid smoke. Cook down uncovered until thick. Taste and adjust seasoning. It's ready to go.
- Don't be afraid to try it with pineapple instead of mango.