Quinoa Cakes w/Kale & Cheddar
The cakes pictured were made with coconut milk, parmesan and Andino cheese by Salinerito.
- About 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 medium purple onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 hot red aji pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish Paprika (Pimentón Español)
- 2 tbs fresh basil, chopped or 1 tb dried
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sal en grano or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked, rinsed quinoa
- 2 cups chicken bone broth or coconut milk
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or parmesan, or your favorite
- 2 cups chopped cooked kale
- Using a small pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the onion, and the peppers and cook till soft. Then start adding the garlic and seasonings. Cook about 1 minute more.
- Add the quinoa, mix and toast for about 1 minute.
- Add the bone broth or coconut milk, cover and cook as you would rice.
- When cooked, keep covered & let it rest & cool, then transfer the cooked quinoa to a mixing bowl. Stir into the quinoa the eggs, coconut flour, cheese, and cooked kale. Shape into burgers.
- Heat a griddle pan brushed with a little oil. Cook one side until crisp and golden, flip and cook other side till crisp and golden and the center is done.
- There is a bitter coating on quinoa seeds. Rinsing quinoa well before cooking will remove that. Be sure to use a fine enough strainer so as not to lose any seeds.