3-Ingredient Coconut Cream Ice Cream
We always make our own coconut milk since the canned coconut milk is ridiculously expensive here in Ecuador. I made this delicious ice cream using only the coconut cream. Of course, full fat coconut milk may be used instead. If you don't want ice cream, it makes a tasty smoothie.
- For the ice cream: I put 1 1/2 cups of the cream (or the coconut milk) into a food processor, add 3 tablespoons of honey (or to taste), and 1/2 tablespoon coconut essence (optional). Blend till smooth and either use a small electric ice cream maker or pour into an ice tray, freeze, then pop the cubes into a food processor and process till smooth.
- First of all, break open a coconut. My husband drills in 2 holes with an electric drill at opposite ends. Pours out & strains the healthy coconut water, which we then drink or add it to the blender. Then he breaks the coconut open with a hammer.
- Then, takes the white coconut flesh with the brown skin and breaks it into smaller pieces. Puts the pieces into a powerful blender, like a Vitamix, and fills it on up with filtered water. Blends till smooth, then strains through a fine strainer -- we use a chiffon fabric. Walla, coconut milk. Keep the solids, as that makes coconut flour. Dry it in the sun. Then grind it up in a blender to make finer. --None of this takes a lot of time.
- For coconut cream, allow the milk to separate in the refrigerator, then scrape off the top (the cream).
- Add some cocoa powder to make chocolate coconut ice cream.